Freshmanfor students who have not enrolled in college course work after high school
Freshman Admissions Timeline
These next few months can be busy while you're juggling all your normal responsibilities as well as applying to college. Here is a timeline to help you stay organized and to let you know when you can expect to hear from us.
Timeline for Fall Applicants
September – January 31
Apply for admission. The freshman application deadline is January 31. Before submitting your application, review our application instructions.
Reasons to apply early:
- Receive your acceptance letter as early as November, depending on your qualifications.
- Housing priority is based on your date of application. Early applicants are more likely to get their preferred housing assignment.
- Receive timely notification of any missing materials. Every year, more than 200 students miss the opportunity to attend Western because they didn't know that a piece of required information (transcript, test scores, application fee, etc.) was missing until it was too late.
- Your high school counselor will love you because you didn't wait until the last minute to request transcripts.
- The application essay never gets any easier to write. Set a timeline to get it done, proofread it, proofread it again the next day, have someone else look it over (it's tough to catch your own mistakes), and then send in your application. You will feel so good when you are done!
Note: If you plan to take the SAT or ACT in December or January, or if you think your first semester senior year grades will strengthen your application, it is okay to apply early and send updated information when it is available.
November – April
Notification of admissions decisions and scholarships. Don't worry if you don't hear from us right away; nearly half of our students receive their application decision and/or scholarship letter after the application deadline.
January 31 - Fall Quarter Application Deadline
Last day to submit your application to Western before it's marked late.
January 31 - Priority Scholarship Deadline
On-time applicants get full consideration for Western’s merit scholarships. Recipients of merit scholarships are notified by mid-March.
February 15 - Financial Aid Priority Deadline
File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by mid-February to be considered for federal and state financial aid. The fastest and most accurate way to file your FAFSA is online at www.fafsa.ed.gov — go ahead and log on now to get you and your family a PIN, which will serve as your signatures for the online form. Then, you’re ready to complete your FAFSA starting January 1. Students who submit the FAFSA after February 15th may miss out on some serious financial aid, so don’t be late if you can help it.
Financial aid award notification begins if you submitted the FAFSA by the priority deadline.
Western Preview, our Saturday Open House for all admitted students who haven't already visited campus, as well as those who like us so much they want to visit again.
Summerstart new student orientation, advising and registration program.
Welcome to Western – classes begin!