High School Counselor FAQs

LoR are not required to complete an application. As such, you or your student can submit letters in either a pdf or Word document format to admissions@wwu.edu. Students can also attach copies of their letters to their application when they apply online.  

If a transcript is coming directly from a high school official (counselor, registrar, etc.), we consider the transcript official. Otherwise, transcripts received through Parchment/Naviance or in a signed/sealed envelope will also be considered official. First-Year students may submit unofficial transcripts as long as they have not graduated High School.  

First-Year students are automatically considered for the WUE just by applying to Western; there is no separate application. The WUE is a merit-based scholarship at Western. A typical recipient has a 3.9 GPA and a 30 ACT/1400 SAT. It is open to students of all majors from a WUE state who apply by the January 31st application deadline. Transfer and Post-Bac students are not eligible for the WUE.

Western offers two other major out-of-state scholarships, the Western Award for Excellence (WAE) and the Western Achievement Award (WAA) The WAE is $8,000/year for four years and a typical recipient has a 3.8 GPA and a 28 ACT/1310 SAT. The WAA is $6,000/year for four years and a typical recipient has a 3.6 GPA and a 24 ACT/1180 SAT.

Students will be prompted to request a fee waiver at the end of the application in the payment section. There is a short form to fill out that includes an open response section for students who wish to provide more context for their circumstances.

Students are not required to live on campus. It is strongly recommended but not mandatory for students of any year.

Most likely! Email admissions.counselors@wwu.edu and let us know what you are looking for and we may have something available.

You can plan a visit by looking at available options on our visit page.

Our team would love a chance to talk to your students. You can explore group visit options, email groupvisit@wwu.edu, or find the Admissions Counselor who works with students in your area