Fall freshman applicant timeline
The timeline below is for fall quarter applicants, please note the timeline and deadlines are different if you are applying for a different quarter. We recommend you contact your Admissions Counselor if you have specific questions about applying for another quarter.
September - January 31: Apply for admission and scholarships
The Freshman Application for Admission and Scholarships becomes available after Labor Day in early September and the deadline is January 31. Before submitting your application, please review our application instructions. We encourage students to apply for admission early in the fall and not wait until the deadline.
Reasons to apply early
- Housing priority is based on your date of application. Early applicants are more likely to get their preferred housing assignment.
- Receive your acceptance letter as early as November, depending on your qualifications.
- Receive timely notification of any missing materials. Every year, more than 400 students miss the opportunity to attend Western because they didn't know that a piece of required information (transcript, test scores, application fee, etc.) was missing until it was too late.
- Your high school counselor will love you because you didn't wait until the last minute to request transcripts.
- The application essay never gets any easier to write. Set a timeline to get it done, proofread it, proofread it again the next day, have someone else look it over (it's tough to catch your own mistakes), and then send in your application. You will feel so good when you are done!
Note: If you plan to take the SAT or ACT in December or January, or if you think your first semester senior year grades will strengthen your application, we encourage you to apply early and send updated information when it is available.
November - April
Students receive notification of admissions decisions and scholarships between November and April. Don't worry if you don't hear from us right away; nearly half of our students receive their application decision and/or scholarship letter after the application deadline. The majority of on-time applicants will receive admission notification within six weeks of the deadline.
January 31: Fall Quarter Application Deadline
Last day to submit your application to Western before it's marked late.
January 31: Priority Scholarship Deadline
On-time applicants get full consideration for Western's merit scholarships. Recipients of merit scholarships are generally notified by mid-March.
February 15: Financial Aid Priority Deadline
File the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) by February 15 to be considered for federal and state financial aid. The fastest and most accurate way to file your FAFSA is online at fafsa.ed.gov – go ahead and log on now to get you and your family a PIN, which will serve as your signature for the online form. Then, you're ready to complete your FAFSA starting January 1. Western's Federal School Code is 003802.
Financial aid award notification begins if you submitted the FAFSA by the priority deadline. More on Financial Aid is available here.
Western Preview, our Saturday Open House for admitted freshmen who haven't already visited campus, as well as those who like us so much they want to visit again!
May 1: National College Decision Day
This is the deadline to submit your enrollment confirmation form and fee, as well as the priority application deadline for on-campus housing at Western. You'll find more information on paying your confirmation fee and taking the next steps to attend Western on our Admitted Students page.
Summerstart, our new student orientation, advising and registration program, takes place on campus
Welcome to Western – make your plans to move to campus. Classes begin!