Visa Information

Students coming from abroad who are admitted for study in the United States need a Certificate of Eligibility to apply for a student visa. This certificate, which is issued by International Student & Scholar Services, can be either the Form I-20 or the Form DS-2019. In general, students will be given the Form I-20 (which is used in applying for the F1 Visa); the Form DS-2019 (which is used in applying for the J-1 Visa) is rarely issued to regularly enrolled students.

To qualify for a Certificate of Eligibility, a student must be formally admitted to the University for full-time study. This document is not issued to part-time students.

Applying for your visa

If you are admitted to Western Washington University, you will receive an enrollment confirmation form to pay the $300 non-refundable enrollment confirmation fee. After you accept this offer of admission and prove sufficient financial resources, your Certificate of Eligibility will be issued.

Once the Certificate of Eligibility has been received, the student visa application process can begin. Application is made at the closest American Consulate or Consular Section of the American Embassy. The Certificate of Eligibility, a valid passport and proof of financial resources are required when applying for a student visa.