2021 Scholars Applications Are Open
About this program
The Biology Distinguished Scholars Program helps to create a diverse group of talented students who have a broad array of interests in Biology. These students take preparatory courses for Biology and related majors together, as a cohort. Up to 24 incoming first-year students are selected to participate each year.
Apply by March 3
This program is exclusively for admitted Western students; you will need to log in to your Admitted Student Portal to register.
- First-Year Students
- 3.0+ GPA
- Academic interest in Biology or Pre-Medicine
The priority deadline for full consideration is March 3.
- Participating students are guaranteed placement in the following classes:
- First Year (Fall 2021): CHEM 161
- First Year (Winter 2022): CHEM 162
- First Year (Spring 2022): CHEM 163 and BIOL 204
- Second Year (Fall 2022): BIOL 205
- Second Year (Winter 2023): BIOL 206
- Fall 2021 and Winter 2022: Depending upon math placement ;and/or AP calculus scores, scholars will have a seat in the appropriate math class.
- Students receive one-on-one advising with a Biology faculty member to help chart coursework, advise on research and internship opportunities, and plan for after graduation.
Minimum math placement AND enrollment in MATH 118 or higher is required to remain in the program.