You must apply by February 28, 2019. You will be notified of the status of your application by email by the end of March. For questions regarding eligibility, please contact Freddy Collins at Freddy.Collins@wwu.edu or (360) 650-7950.
Business and Economics Distinguished Scholars
This small cohort experience for 20 incoming first-year students provides scholars with the freedom to explore the business field. Scholars tour multi-million dollar businesses, interview successful entrepreneurs, and attend special business functions with faculty.
Business Scholars enjoy priority access to business foundation courses, providing them with a head start on their major. They also get to work closely with faculty within the College of Business and Economics (CBE), who plan and organize the program.
- One-on-one academic advising to help you chart your course at Western
- Priority registration for business foundation courses and accelerated admission into CBE (should business or economics become your chosen major)
- Fall quarter enrollment in Management 202 – Perspectives on Business, a 2-credit seminar that provides an engaging introduction to business and is available only to Distinguished Scholars
- Special opportunities for you to interact with CBE professors, participate in exclusive conversation hours and other events with leaders in the business community, and learn about exciting student leadership opportunities
- A $1,000 scholarship for your second year at Western, should you declare a major within CBE
Application Eligibility Requirements:
Up to 25 incoming fall freshmen are selected each year to participate in the Business and Economics Distinguished Scholars program. Selection is based on academic excellence and the goal of creating a diverse cohort of students representing a broad array of interests in business.
While many CBE Distinguished Scholars have participated in extracurricular business-related activities, this program is designed for students who have not yet taken any college-level foundational business courses.