About this program
The Chemistry Distinguished Scholars Program offers an opportunity to a diverse group of students with a broad array of interests in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Up to 24 incoming first-year students are selected to participate each year based on academic achievement.
The program places students into groups that are guaranteed enrollment in introductory courses, including Honors General Chemistry. These courses offer a smaller, more inclusive learning environment, and provide a gateway to genuine research experiences in the Chemistry Department.
- First-Year Student
- 3.0+ GPA
- Academic interest in Chemistry, Biochemistry, Geology, Materials Science, or Pre-Medicine
Apply by March 10
This program is exclusively for admitted Western students; you will need to log in to your Admitted Student Portal to register.
- One-on-one advising with a Chemistry faculty member will help students chart coursework, access research and internship opportunities (many Chemistry Distinguished Scholars start research projects with faculty mentors early on in their college careers), and plan for the future after graduation.
- Guaranteed enrollment in the following courses*:
- First Year (Fall 2022): CHEM 175 (Honors)
- First Year (Winter 2023): CHEM 176 (Honors)
- First Year (Spring 2023): CHEM 225 (Honors)
- Priority registration in the following courses:
- First Year (Spring 2023): BIOL 204
- Second Year (Fall 2023): PHYS 161
*Students will have a seat in the appropriate Math class depending on their Math Placement and/or AP calculus scores. In order to enroll in any General Chemistry class, including Honors, students must demonstrate proficiency in pre-calculus (MATH 114) either through taking the Math Placement Exam or having equivalent college coursework already completed. Students who have demonstrated high achievements in Math and Chemistry in their high school coursework who do not meet the math requirements may petition for admission, which is subject to review by the Chemistry Department.