Chemistry Distinguished Scholars
The Chemistry Distinguished Scholars program is a selective, small group experience for up to 24 incoming first-year students. This program is ideal for students with an interest in the natural sciences, especially for those interested in exploring Chemistry or Biochemistry.
Scholars are guaranteed enrollment into the Honors General Chemistry series and key Biology and Physics courses in their first and second years. These courses ensure small class sizes with talented peers, and prepare students to join research labs as rising sophomores (i.e., as early as the summer following the first year).
- Guaranteed enrollment in the year-long Honors Chemistry sequence (CHEM 175, 176 and 225). This three quarter series is equivalent to the four quarter series (CHEM 161, 162, 163, 333) and thereby reduces the number of required courses for a Chemistry or Biochemistry major.
- One-on-one advising with the Chemistry Department Program Coordinator and small group meetings with faculty to advise you on research and internship opportunities, help chart your coursework, and plan your future after graduation.
- Guaranteed access to BIOL 204 in the spring quarter and PHYS 161 in the fall of sophomore year
- Closely working with faculty members who are committed to undergraduate education, and are actively engaged in cutting edge research with high levels of external funding from the National Science Foundation and the National Institutes of Health.
- Depending upon your Math Placement and/or AP calculus scores, you will have a seat in the appropriate Math class.
Application Eligibility Requirements:
- Students must have completed pre-calculus and chemistry by High School graduation.
- To be eligible for the benefits of this program, students must have not completed any college level Biology or Chemistry courses.
- Selection is based on academic excellence, and on the goal of creating a diverse cohort of students representing a broad array of interests in STEM.