2021 Scholars Applications Are Open
About this program
The Chemistry Distinguished Scholars Program offers an opportunity to students with interests in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM). Up to 24 incoming first-year students are selected to participate each year.
The program places students into groups that are guaranteed enrollment in introductory courses, including Honors General Chemistry. These courses offer a smaller, more inclusive learning environment, and provide a gateway to genuine research experiences in the Chemistry Department.
Apply by March 3
This program is exclusively for admitted Western students; you will need to log in to your Admitted Student Portal to register.
- First-Year Student
- 3.0+ GPA
- Academic interest in Chemistry or Biochemistry
The priority deadline for full consideration is March 3.
- One-on-one advising with a Chemistry faculty member will help students chart coursework, access research and internship opportunities (many Chemistry Distinguished Scholars start research projects with faculty mentors early on in their college careers), and plan for the future after graduation.
- Guaranteed enrollment in the following courses*:
- First Year (Fall 2021): CHEM 175 (Honors)
- First Year (Winter 2022): CHEM 176 (Honors)
- First Year (Spring 2022): CHEM 225 (Honors)
- Priority registration in the following courses:
- First Year (Spring 2022): BIOL 204
- Second Year (Fall 2022): PHYS 161
*Students will have a seat in the appropriate Math class depending on their Math Placement and/or AP calculus scores. In order to enroll in any General Chemistry class, including Honors, students must demonstrate proficiency in pre-calculus (MATH 114) either through taking the Math Placement Exam or having equivalent college coursework already completed.