About the Computer Science Distinguished Scholars Program
Approximately 30 incoming first-year students are selected each year to participate in the Computer Science Distinguished Scholars Program based on academic excellence and interest in pursuing a major in Computer Science (CS) or Data Science (DS). This program helps students get access to the introductory CS or DS courses, and provides guaranteed admission to the major (contingent on good academic standing).
Students in the program will be supported in their studies throughout their time at Western and prepare them for careers in computer science through advising, mentoring, and developing professional skills. The program also include regular get-togethers with faculty and student leaders that expose scholars to opportunities in the department and beyond.
- First-Year Student
- 3.0+ GPA
- Academic interest in Computer Science or Data Science
- Guaranteed admission to the CS or DS major, contingent on good academic standing.
- Up to five $2,000 scholarships are available to students during years 2 through 4 (based on financial need).
- Students may be eligible for faculty-mentored research scholarships during Summer 2024 and beyond.
- A reserved seat in CS or DS pre-major classes
- Monthly gatherings with a focus on providing students with opportunities for internships, research experiences and leadership. Many of these events will showcase successful Western Computer Science graduates.
- Academic advising with faculty beginning in the first year, including the formulation of a four-year graduation plan.