Guide for Admitted Post-baccalaureate Students

Get Your Personalized Fall 2020 Confirmed Student Checklist

The portal for fall 2020 confirmed students is now available. See all of your next steps in one place.

Access Your Portal

Review Enrollment Details

Your offer of admission is based on the academic plan of study outlined in your application for admission. If your academic goals include pursuing coursework outside of those interests, you must contact the Office of Admissions and may need to repeat the application process with an updated plan of study. 

Enrollment is contingent upon your continued academic success, including completion of any conditions communicated to you by the Office of Admissions in writing or via email, satisfactory completion of all attempted coursework not currently on file, and receipt of official final transcripts.

Final Transcripts

Be sure to send your final transcript to the Office of Admissions by the deadline listed below:

Fall & Summer July 15

Winter January 31

Spring April 30

Summer July 15

You can verify receipt of final transcripts by checking your application status online (due to high processing volume there may be a several week delay in posting of final transcripts). 

Check your Residency Status

Your residency status is noted in your acceptance letter. Becoming a Washington resident after enrollment is extremely difficult, so be sure this classification is correct. If you have questions, contact the Office of Admissions to request a reclassification questionnaire. Residency information is available at

Confirm your Enrollment

While no confirmation form or fee is required from you, we do ask that you notify us by email if you are unable to attend Western during the quarter for which you applied. If you do decide you would like to begin in a future quarter, you will need to repeat the admission process. 


Prepare for Academic Success

Advising, Orientation & Course Registration

Fall Quarter

Transitions, our advising, orientation and registration program for post-baccalaureate and transfer students entering fall quarter, occurs in late July. Students who attend Transitions will register for fall quarter courses during the program. Registration for students who do not attend Transitions occurs during Phase II registration which begins late August. Details and reservation information for Transitions will be sent in May. You can learn more at

Winter, Spring and Summer Quarters

Registration dates for winter, spring and summer quarters vary by quarter. Post-baccalaureate students are invited to schedule an individual appointment with the Academic Advising Center prior to their registration appointment. 

Departmental Advising

You are encouraged to contact academic departments prior to registration, as you will probably need permission to register for your intended courses. Academic departments can provide information related to major requirements and prerequisites.You will need to provide a copy of current transcripts for departmental advising. Departmental contact information is available online at

Major Declaration

Selective programs require prerequisite coursework and/or an elevated grade point average. Review general information about major preparation and declaration procedures in the University Catalog and Academic Advising Center

Transfer Equivalency Report

Your official Transfer Equivalency Report (TER), sent to your email address after you confirm your enrollment, will list those courses that apply to your intended academic plan if the academic departments provided an evaluation of your credits. You should contact department advisers for access to restricted courses and provide them a copy of current transcripts.


Plan Your Finances

Western is nationally recognized for providing excellent education at an affordable cost, with Forbes, Kiplinger and Washington Monthly magazines ranking Western as a top value in education.

As you review estimated annual expenses, it may be helpful to know that payment for tuition, fees, housing and meals is due at the start of each quarter. Also, remember that costs for transportation, books, supplies and personal expenses can be reduced depending on your lifestyle.

Financial Aid

Financial aid is available to help meet the costs of tuition, books, educational supplies, housing and meals, transportation and personal expenses. If you plan to apply for financial aid, you need to submit the online Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) at

Western's Financial Aid Priority Deadline is January 31. For priority consideration, submit the FAFSA by January 31 and include Western’s Federal School Code so we receive your results: 003802. Applications submitted after the priority deadline will receive full consideration as long as funds are available. 

Financial aid offers for new students who meet our application deadlines are sent out on a rolling basis after admission. If you have questions after receiving your preliminary financial aid package, please contact Western’s Financial Aid Office at or (360) 650-3470. 

Student Employment

More than 60% of Western students work while in school. Find on- and off-campus job listings at Western's Student Employment Center.


Get to Know Us Better

In consideration of the safety of our visitors and campus community due to the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) we are currently unable to accommodate on campus visits. But, there are other ways to familiarize yourself with our campus and community!

Campus Tours

Take a virtual tour, or check out our student-led tour on YouTube.

Life in Bellingham

You can become more familiar with the Bellingham community on our website. 

Facebook, Instagram, Twitter & Snapchat

  • Facebook: Join the You're In! WWU New Students 2020 Facebook group and get to know other new students who will be headed to Western.
  • Instagram: Western on Instagram
  • Twitter: @WWU on Twitter
  • Share the news! Spread the word using #wwubound.
  • See what campus and Bellingham are like through the eyes of our students on Snapchat! @wwuadmissions


Find a New Home

Post-baccalaureate students are eligible to live in university residences. Refer to the Housing website for more information about our facilities, dining services, the housing application and roommate selection process, and housing and dining rates. An Off Campus Living site is available for those looking for additional housing options.

Connect with potential roommates using WWU's MyRoommate, the WWU New Students Facebook Group, and the WWU On-Campus Housing Facebook page.  To learn more about Bellingham, check out


See All of Your Next Steps in Your Admitted Student Porta

Keep track of your status in several important areas including your Transitions reservation, receipt of final transcripts, measles clearance, housing assignment and more with your WWU Admitted Student Portal checklist.

Activate Your Universal Account

After you have been admitted, you will need to activate your Universal Account. You won't be able to view information about financial aid, make your advising reservations or register for classes without it. Your Universal Account also provides technology resources to enhance your academic experience, including the myWestern web portal and a web-based email account, on-campus computer labs, personal storage on network servers, wireless internet access, and laptops available for check out. Students are required to check myWestern email regularly, as official university correspondence will be delivered to myWestern email accounts.

Measles Immunity

Proof of measles immunity is required for all students born after January 1, 1957. Appropriate documentation must be on file with the Student Health Center in order for you to register for courses. Details about fulfilling this requirement is available from the Student Health Center


Tie Up Loose Ends

Campus Transportation Options

Western is a residential community where you don't need to have a car and using alternative methods of transportation is encouraged. There are a variety of transportation options at Western, including:


Bicycles are the preferred form of transportation on campus and there are over 900 parking spaces within the academic core. All residence halls provide bicycle storage, and there is a student-run bike shop at Western's Outdoor Center that provides access to bike tools, bike repair, and bike parts and supplies. You can register your bicycle through University Police.

Bus Pass

The student ID card works as a bus pass on all Whatcom Transit Authority (WTA) routes. Buses run regularly through campus, downtown, and Whatcom County. Most students choose to take the bus over driving a car to get around town.

Personal Vehicle

While limited parking is available on campus, you can expect to pay about $275 for an academic year parking permit. If you choose to bring a car, you must apply for a parking pass through Parking Services.


Western has partnered with Zipcar to bring self-service, on-demand car sharing to the area, with discounted hourly rates for students, faculty, and staff.

Disability Access Center

The Disability Access Center (DAC) serves students who have a wide variety of disabilities. The DAC provides prospective and admitted Western students an equal opportunity to access all aspects of University life through services and programs designed to foster intellectual, emotional, physical, and social development. They partner with over 1,500 students a year. Students who intend to access services provided by the Disability Access Center must contact the office prior to enrollment to insure timely coordination of services.

Email and Mailing Address Changes

Please let us know about email or mailing address changes as soon as possible by emailing Be sure to include your full name and Western ID number.


Watch the Mail

Check your email and postal mailbox regularly so you don't miss important information from Western.


Stay in Touch

If the Admissions staff can be of assistance at any step of the way, feel free to contact us directly at or (360) 650-3440.