Military Resources

If you are a veteran member of the United States Armed Forces, Selected Reserve or National Guard; or child or spouse of an active duty or veteran member of the U.S. Armed Forces, Selected Reserve or National Guard we would like to familiarize you with a few helpful resources. Feel free to contact these organizations and offices to familiarize yourself with Western and get your questions answered.

Veteran Services

The Veteran Services Office can answer any questions you have about applying for educational benefits. The Veteran Services Office staff are familiar with the Post 9/11 GI Bill® and have knowledge of the various educational benefits for which you may be eligible. Please note that while the GI Bill® may cover the $300 enrollment deposit, it does not cover the $70 application fee to apply for admission to Western.

Your admissions representative

If you haven't yet applied for admission, we invite you to apply online. Additional admissions information for first-year, transfer, returning and post-baccalaureate students is available on our website.

For more specific questions and inquiries, your personal contact is:

Jeanne Gaffney
Associate Director of Admissions
(360) 650-3966

Jeanne works specifically with active service members and their families to ensure a smooth transition to Western Washington University. Contact her directly with questions on how to apply for admission, how earned credits will transfer, or any general enrollment questions.

Additional campus resources

Financial aid and scholarships

The Financial Aid Office provides helpful resources and can answer questions about financial aid. 

Complete the FAFSA (Free Application for Federal Student Aid) by Western's April 1 priority deadline. In addition to being considered for federal student loans, filing the FAFSA will allow you to be considered for grants, tuition waivers, work study, and other financial aid programs.

There are a wide variety of scholarship opportunities available to Western students. While a partial listing is available on the Admissions website, for the most up-to-date information regarding scholarship opportunities at Western, please visit the Scholarship Center. is a free site that connects service members, military families and veterans to all the benefits of service – government benefits, scholarships, discounts, lifelong friends, mentors, great stories of military life or missions, and much more.


Military members, spouses and their college-aged dependents are guaranteed in-state tuition at public colleges and universities in the state where they reside or are permanently stationed. In accordance with statewide residency guidelines, Western also provides resident tuition and fees for eligible veterans and their dependents or spouse. For eligibility criteria, please contact:

Veteran Services Office
Western Washington University
516 High Street, Bellingham WA 98225 | 9191 | 360-650-3324

Student Veterans of Western Club

The Student Veterans of Western Club is a service-based organization for veterans, by veterans (and their supporters). This club holds a non-partisan viewpoint and is dedicated to veterans, their families, and the community in which they live.

Veteran's Outreach Center

The Veteran's Outreach Center (VOC) is dedicated to advocating for U.S. Armed Forces Veterans and their families for a positive Western experience. The VOC is a source for campus life information and a networking haven for veterans and military supporters. The center also coordinates the annual Veterans Day Ceremony, plans socials, informational fairs and workshops, and invites military representatives to speak during campus events and provides transitional assistance for new student veterans.

Disability Access Center

The Disability Access Center (DAC) serves students who have a wide variety of disabilities. The DAC provides prospective and admitted Western students an equal opportunity to access all aspects of University life through services and programs designed to foster intellectual, emotional, physical, and social development. They partner with over 1,500 students a year. Students who intend to access services provided by the Disability Access Center must contact the office prior to enrollment to insure timely coordination of services.

Student Employment Center

The Student Employment Center is a free resource available to Western students in search of part-time employment to pay for college expenses. The online job board contains on-campus and off-campus employment opportunities as well as work-study and non-work study positions.