School and Community Group Visits
Our Group Visit Program is designed to provide groups of 15–45 students in 8th grade and higher with a deeper understanding of the academic opportunities at Western Washington University. We welcome you to explore campus!
Who Should Attend a Group Visit
- Middle school students in 8th grade
- All high school students
- Transfer students
- Compass 2 Campus partnered school groups
Groups are limited to 45 students per visit. In addition, groups that have fewer than 15 participants are asked to attend our regular Campus Tours (offered most weekdays and select Saturdays) or other visit programs that are currently offered.
Student Groups - 7th Grade and Younger
Student groups younger than 8th grade are encouraged to take advantage of our self-guided campus visit options.
To request self-guided visit materials, such as our Self-Guided Tour Booklet or "What Kind of Smart Are You?" Worksheet, please email email@example.com at least two weeks in advance.
*Please note that we cannot offer discounted meal tickets/lunch for student groups younger than 8th grade, but with advanced notice we can try to arrange space on campus where your group can eat lunch.
How to Sign Up
Group Visit requests must be submitted at least three weeks in advance.
Unfortunately, we may be unable to guarantee requests submitted outside this time requirement. We are typically unable to schedule visits on weekends, as well as Fridays or major holidays. However, if your group can only visit on one of these dates, we will do our best to work with you. Contacting us in advance will help us make this accommodation more likely.
Group Visit Policies
We are delighted that you have chosen to learn more about Western! To ensure your group has the best possible visit experience, please read through the policies below:
- Group visits are available for middle school and/or high school students in 8th grade and higher (8th – 12th grade), transfer students, and/or Compass 2 Campus partnered school groups.
- Spring quarter group visits are reserved for high school and transfer student groups only.
- Groups are limited to 45 individuals per visit. We ask groups of 10-15 or less to register for a daily campus tour visit.
- Visits are contingent upon availability of Student Admissions Representatives, Admissions staff, and/or campus facilities (classrooms, meeting spaces, etc.).
- At least one chaperone per 15 students is required. Chaperones are responsible for the behavior and safety of the students during the visit and must always stay with the group. Tour guides are not responsible for maintaining order or issuing discipline and reserve the right to end a tour at any point due to inappropriate behavior.
- If you would like to take advantage of our discounted $6.50 lunch option at one of our Dining Commons, you must indicate so when you register for a group visit. Western's Dining Commons require payment by cash or credit card on the day of your visit and offer a variety of food options and an all-you-can-eat buffet.
- To efficiently get into the Dining Commons, please have a payment method ready to hand to the cashier when you arrive at the dining hall. One credit card per group, please.
- Schools with 50% or more of their students on free/reduced lunch may qualify to have their meals provided by WWU. Meals are limited, so indicate this request at the time of registration.
- Please make every effort possible to arrive early for your visit. If you are more than 20 minutes late, we may be unable to offer all the items on your agenda. When a group arrives late, it is always at the expense of the tour.
- Our tour guides are all current WWU students and will only be available for the scheduled time.
- Please notify firstname.lastname@example.org of any changes to your visit, including the number of attendees, times of departure, or if you are cancelling at least 48 hours in advance.
- Please remind students to be polite and considerate to the tour guides and presenters. Advise students to turn off cell phones and other electronic devices during the presentation(s) and campus tour.
- While your group is on campus, classes and meetings are being held. Please remind your group to be quiet when inside buildings and treat our campus and community respectfully.
- Tours will run rain or shine! This is an outside walking tour; attendees should wear appropriate footwear and outerwear and bring reusable water bottles to campus, as Western does not sell bottled water.
- Come prepared with questions about WWU and have fun!
Directions and Parking
To Drop Off
From Interstate 5, take Exit #252 (Samish Way and WWU). Turn west at the first light off the ramp onto N. Samish Way. At the second light, turn left onto Bill McDonald Pkwy/Byron Ave. There will be a Wendy’s on your right and a 76 Station on your left. Drive on Bill McDonald Pkwy until you reach Buchanan Towers on your right-hand side. Turn right onto South College Drive (no light or sign). At the second stop sign, turn left onto West College Way and then left onto Bill McDonald Pkwy at the light. There is a bus stop on the right-hand side. Pull up there to unload.
Continue down Bill McDonald Pkwy and follow the way you came, down to Samish Way. Take a right onto Samish Way, getting into the left lane. Crossing over the bridge, you will now be in the middle lane and take the left onto Lincoln Street staying in the right-hand lane. The Lincoln Street Park and Ride will be on your right and you can park the bus anywhere in there.