College Counselor FAQs

Admitted transfer students are provided with an individualized Transfer Equivalency Report before registering for their first quarter. Prospective students may use the Transfer Course Equivalency Guide - which includes information for community colleges and public baccalaureate institutions in Washington, except The Evergreen State College - to understand how courses will transfer to Western. Students and advisers from outside Washington may request a list of courses that have been evaluated from your institution at Additional transfer credit policies, including transfer credit limits, can be found here

Students who earn a Direct Transfer Agreement Associate in Arts (DTA-AA) degree or an Associate in Applied Science – Transfer (AS-T) degree can review our Transfer Credit Policies to learn more.

While students who have completed a transferable degree are more competitive applicants, there is no minimum number of credits a student must have to apply as a transfer student. Students with fewer than 40 transferable quarter (27 semester) college credits will need to provide a final high school transcript in addition to their official college transcript. Students should focus on completing courses that will count towards Western’s General University Requirements (GUR) in addition to completing prerequisites for their intended major, unless they plan to earn an associate’s degree via our reverse transfer option.

We encourage all students to complete college-level math and English before applying for admission. In addition, while admission to the University is separate from admission to the major, our review considers completion of prerequisites for a student’s intended major and grades in related courses, among other factors. Here's our advice on how transfer students can strengthen their application.

Yes!  About 20% of new transfer students elect to live on campus. They will need to complete a housing application if they choose to live in on-campus housing. We also provide support and resources for students living off campus.

Yes! Visit our majors page to find contact information for each academic program.

Our team would love a chance to talk to your students! You can email to make your request or find the Admissions Counselor who works with students in your area.