Special Circumstances

Readmission for academically dismissed students

Students who have been academically dismissed can apply for reinstatement after demonstrating their readiness for academic success. Responsibility for reinstatement rests with the faculty Scholastic Standing Committee.

We take the following into consideration:

  • Measure of academic aptitude
  • Lapse of time since dismissal
  • Change of major goals
  • Nature of academic or other experience since dismissal
  • Extenuating circumstances

A printable Scholastic Reinstatement Petition as well as detailed instructions and deadlines are available on the Academic Advising website.

Fresh Start: for students returning after an absence of five years

If you haven't been enrolled at Western for five or more years, you may be given permission to start a new cumulative grade average. The Fresh Start application deadline is the end of the first week of the quarter in which the student returns. The application should be submitted to the Registrar's Office. 

Students who have been dropped for low scholarship, even if absent for five years or more, must pursue reinstatement.

Students returning from military leave

The returning student application fee may be waived for students who are returning following their United States military service. Contact us for details.

Outreach and Continuing Education students

If you attended one of Western’s Outreach and Continuing Education supported location programs in Bremerton, Distance/Online Learning (Human Services), Everett, Port Angeles, Poulsbo, or select programs on Bellingham’s main campus (Communication Sciences and Disorders, RN-to-BSN, or TESOL only)  and want to return to your previous program, apply as a returning student.

If you want to change your academic program, you need to apply as a new transfer or post-baccalaureate student.