Application fee

A non-refundable $55 application fee is required to process your application. When you apply online, you will be asked to submit a credit or debit card, over a secure connection, to complete your application. If you use a paper application, your application fee must be in the form of a check or money order, payable to "Western Washington University". Please ensure your full name and birth date are included on the check.

You may request a fee waiver if you have extreme financial need, or a low expected family contribution (EFC) if receiving financial aid. When you apply online you will have the option to request a fee waiver at the time you submit your application. If you plan on using the paper application, please contact our office for a fee waiver request form and submit your form with your completed application. To prevent processing delays, students who plan to request an application fee waiver should submit their application well in advance of the application deadline.

High school transcript

Applicants are responsible for providing a high school transcript from the last school attended. If you are still in high school, your transcript will need to include coursework for grades 9-11. If you have already graduated, your transcript will need to include coursework for grades 9-12 and also include your graduation date. This requirement can be met with a high school transcript, homeschool transcript, G.E.D. score, or a diploma earned through a Washington community college. A homeschool transcript should include subjects and grades for each year, as well as supplemental information of concepts covered and materials used.

There are two ways you can submit your high school transcript:

  1. Online: you may upload an electronic version of your transcript with your online application; this transcript should include your cumulative GPA. By choosing this option, you do not need to request your high school send us a copy. Note: you will only be able to attach one transcript with your online application. If you attended multiple schools, you will need to send paper copies of additional transcripts.

  2. Sent from your high school: request your high school send a transcript to our office. We will accept transcripts mailed by your high school, or via the Naviance/Parchment e-transcript system. You can choose this option even if you apply online.


While not required to complete your application, mid-year grades can be very helpful because they provide the most complete and current academic history for the Admissions Committee to consider. If you have not learned of your admissions decision by the time you receive first semester grades from your senior year, sending an updated transcript with mid-year grades can often expedite an admissions decision. An unofficial transcript sent to us via email will be sufficient.

College transcripts & AP/IB scores

Official college transcripts and AP/IB scores are required for college credit to be granted. Running Start students who have completed college credit are encouraged to request an electronic college transcript be sent from the community college at the time of application, in addition to a high school transcript. These transcripts will enable Admissions to process your application more efficiently and expedite the awarding of transfer credit.

Test scores

All freshman and Running Start applicants are required to submit either SAT or ACT test scores as part of their application for admission.  Scores may be sent directly from the testing service or reported on official high school transcripts. (Handwritten scores are not acceptable.) We do not require the writing portion on the ACT and beginning with the redesigned SAT in 2016, we will not require the optional SAT Essay section. 

A note about the 2016 SAT redesign:  Applicants for Fall 2016 will use the current SAT format because the redesigned test will not be administered until after the application deadline has passed.  Applicants for Winter 2017 and beyond should take the new test, but either the current or redesigned SAT will be accepted.   Visit the College Board to learn more about the 2016 SAT redesign.

To be received on time, you should take the test at least six weeks prior to the application deadline. Western Washington University does not use super scores and will consider the highest composite score on a single test date for your application.

    Phone: (866) 756-7346
    Website: College Board
    WWU Institutional Code: 4947

    Phone: (319) 337-1313
    Website: ACT Records
    WWU Institutional Code: 4490

Submitting application materials

To help the Admissions Office match your documents with your application, we recommend you include your full name and birth date on all materials mailed separately from your application.

Mail all application materials to:

    Western Washington University
    Office of Admissions
    Old Main 200, MS 9009
    516 High Street
    Bellingham, WA 98225-9009

Apply for financial aid

While not required as part of the admissions process, we encourage you to apply for financial aid.

  • Application:
  • Financial Aid application priority deadline: February 15
  • Western's Federal School Code: 003802 

If you are a non-citizen eligible for resident tuition under HB 1079, please submit the WASFA to apply for student financial aid.

Equal opportunity and reasonable accommodation

Western Washington University is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to qualified individuals with disabilities upon request. To request an accommodation in the application process, contact disAbility Resources for Students, (360) 650-3083 (voice), (360) 650-7175 (VP), One week advance notice is appreciated. To request application materials in an alternate format, please contact the Associate Director of Admissions, Office of Admissions, (360) 650-3440,