Resources for Undocumented Students

Western is committed to supporting all students, regardless of immigration status. We recognize that undocumented students who want to attend college face many unique challenges. 

An undocumented student is defined as a non-U.S. citizen who came into the country without authorization and/or legitimate documentation, or who stays in the U.S. past their authorization.

We hope the following information helps address the questions and concerns you may have about applying to and attending Western. Also, please don't hesitate to contact the Office of Admissions at any time if you have questions or need help with the application process.

To apply for admission to Western, complete and submit the First-Year and Running Start or Transfer and Post-baccalaureate Application for Undergraduate Admission. Do not use the international student application.

If you are applying under DACA or HB 1079/1487 status, when asked about your citizenship, select Other. Below is an example of what this looks like on the application.

Image removed.

Washington State House Bill HB 1079 allows undocumented students to pay in-state tuition at Washington state colleges and universities and apply for state financial aid. To qualify for HB-1079, you must meet the following requirements:

  • have graduated from a Washington state high school and completed you senior year of high school in Washington; OR earned the equivalent of a high school diploma, such as a General Education Diploma (GED), and
  • have lived in Washington state for at least three years prior to, and continuously since, earning a high school diploma or a GED

To qualify for in-state tuition, you must:

  1. sign the residency affidavit; and
  2. promptly mail or return the original signed affidavit to Office of Admissions (scanned, emailed, or faxed copies are not accepted)


The Real Hope Act (SB 6523) allows eligible undocumented students to apply for financial aid using the Washington Application for Financial State Aid (WASFA). You will most likely be eligible to complete the WASFA if:

  • you qualify for HB-1079
  • OR have DACA and have lived in the state of Washington for one year

Applying for Aid

To receive state financial aid, you must complete and submit the Washington Application For Financial State Aid (WASFA).

If you plan on applying to Western, be sure to:

  • list WWU as a school choice
  • submit the WASFA by Western’s priority date of January 31
  • complete our Residency Questionnaire by January 31


  • We encourage you to apply for scholarships, through Western and outside private donors.
  • Additional scholarships for Washington residents are available at

Support and Resources

Admissions Support

Do you have questions about Western or the application process? Western Admissions Counselors are here to help you and your family, so please reach out.

Financial Aid & Scholarship Support

Do you have any questions about the WASFA or scholarships? Contact our Financial Aid Department at or (360) 650-3471

Academic and Community Support

For academic guidance and support, contact Academic Advising and Student Achievement Center, Old Main 387, (360) 650-3100.

The Blue Group supports HB 1079 students and other undocumented students in pursuit of a higher education at Western. It aims to provide undocumented students with a safe space to meet other undocumented students, find resources and services, and build community.

You can find answers to questions frequently asked by undocumented students on Western’s Welcomes Undocumented Students page.

Western Libraries has compiled a list of campus and community resources for HB-1079 students.

Western’s Policy on Providing Immigration Information

Western has a written policy about providing immigration information.

  • Western Washington University does not require undocumented students (1079 students) to disclose whether they are undocumented
  • University employees shall not collect information about immigration status unless required by law
  • Student educational records are confidential
  • The University will make reasonable efforts to inform students of a judicial order or subpoena seeking their student educational records in order to provide the student sufficient notice to seek a protective order
  • Employees shall notify the university’s public safety and assistant attorney general Students may opt out of directory information
  • Signed warrant required for removal or interrogation of students or employees by ICE, CBP or other third party officials
  • Access to non-public portions of university campus by ICE, CPB, or other third party officials requires approval of the university’s safety and Assistant Attorney General
  • University follows best practices