How to Apply

Transfer Student Application Checklist

A complete application includes:

  1. The application for admission submitted by the application deadline
  2. $70 non-refundable application fee (fee waiver may be available)
  3. Official transcripts from every college/university attended, even if you do not expect or desire to transfer credit (Note: students applying for summer or fall quarters must send an official transcript that includes grades from the previous fall quarter before their application can be reviewed)
  4. An essay that helps the Admissions Committee understand your academic goals, related experiences and/or preparatory course work, and professional goals
  5. Students who have completed fewer than 40 transferable quarter (27 semester) credits are also required to submit an official high school transcript.

Note: if you are applying to a Western-supported location program, contact your intended program for additional information about application requirements.

Application Fee

A non-refundable $70 application fee is required to process your application. When you apply online, you will be asked to submit a credit or debit card, over a secure connection, to complete your application. If you use a paper application, your application fee must be in the form of a check or money order, payable to "Western Washington University". Please ensure your full name and birth date are included on the check.

Fee Waiver

You may request a fee waiver if you have extreme financial need, or a low student aid index (SAI) if receiving financial aid. When you apply online you will have the option to request a fee waiver at the time you submit your application. If you plan on using the paper application, please contact our office for a fee waiver request form and submit your form with your completed application. 


Applicants are responsible for requesting official transcripts. A transcript is considered official if it bears the official seal and authorizing signature of the issuing institution and is:

  • sent directly by the school to the Office of Admissions; or
  • sealed by the school and mailed or delivered to the Office of Admissions by you. If the envelope has been opened before it arrives in the Office of Admissions, the transcript is not official.

We can serve you better – and faster! – if your official transcripts arrive before or soon after submitting your application.

College Transcripts

You must submit official transcripts from all colleges and universities you have attended. Do not omit or exclude any institution, even if you do not expect to transfer credit. 

Students who have attended a Washington State community college are encouraged to have their transcripts sent electronically. Electronic transcripts enable us to process your application more efficiently and expedite awarding you transfer credit if admitted.

Official electronic college transcripts can be sent by the issuing institution to

Transfer students who have earned fewer than 40 transferable quarter (27 semester) credits must request a transcript from the last high school attended. If you attended more than one high school, it is recommended that you submit transcripts from all of them. If you have already graduated or have left high school, your high school transcript must show all course work completed.

Test Scores

While not required, applicants may submit official SAT or ACT test scores to the Office of Admissions. Test scores are official if they are:

  • sent directly from the testing agency; or

  • sent directly from the high school (handwritten scores are not acceptable).

If you plan to apply to the Woodring College of Education, please know that test scores may be considered as part of the application process. Effective July 2024, SAT scores taken before 2005 are no longer available from the College Board.

    Scholastic Assessment Test (SAT)
    Phone: (866) 756-7346
    Website: College Board
    WWU Institutional Code: 4947

    American College Test (ACT)
    Phone: (319) 337-1313
    Website: ACT Records
    WWU Institutional Code: 4490


Mailing Application Materials

To submit transcripts or other related application materials by mail, please use the address below. 

    Western Washington University
    Office of Admissions
    Old Main 200, MS 9009
    516 High Street
    Bellingham, WA 98225-9009

Please note, it may be necessary to delete the third line, "Old Main 200, MS 9009" to facilitate delivery of college transcripts when ordered online. To help the Office of Admissions match your documents with your application, we recommend you include your full name and birth date on all materials mailed separately from your application.

Outreach and Continuing Education 

If you are applying to a Western-supported location program, contact your intended program for details about application requirements. 

What to Expect After You Apply

After you submit your application for admission online, you will receive an email confirming that we received it. 

You will be prompted to pay the application fee (we cannot process your application without it) and provided with a link to check your application status using the Student Admission Portal. The portal provides a personalized checklist of items we've received, as well as any missing items needed to make your application complete. 

Admission decisions are made on a rolling basis, and students will be notified in writing of their admissions decision which will also be made available in the Student Admission Portal. While some students are notified earlier, the majority of applicants are notified within six to eight weeks of the application deadline. We appreciate your patience in this process to ensure every on-time application is carefully reviewed. Students who need an earlier decision are welcome to request one in writing, though a favorable response cannot be guaranteed.

Equal Opportunity and Reasonable Accommodation

WWU is an equal opportunity institution. To request an accommodation in the application process, contact the Disability Access Center (DAC), (360) 650-3083 (voice), (360) 255-7175 (VP), One week advance notice is appreciated.