The Importance of Major Preparation
Admission to the University does not imply admission to a major or enrollment in specific courses. Many Western majors have a separate application process and/or selective admissions requirements, including completion of prerequisite course work, elevated GPA, audition or portfolio review.
If you plan to complete courses elsewhere before enrolling at Western, you should review all of the courses listed for your intended Western major and determine if they can be taken at your current college. Since many of the majors at Western have pre-admission requirements, it is to your benefit to complete as many of the required courses for your major as possible prior to transferring. Doing so will strengthen your application for admission and may reduce the number of courses you need to take at Western.
If you are interested in one of the below-listed programs that require a separate application, audition, or portfolio, be sure to familiarize yourself with entrance requirements and deadlines. All other students should review Western's Majors for information about major-specific admission and declaration procedures.
- Art requires a portfolio
- College of Business and Economics programs (excluding Economics) require an application
- Design requires a portfolio
- Early Childhood Education requires an application
- Elementary Education requires an application
- Fairhaven College of Interdisciplinary Studies requires additional application materials
- Human Services requires an application
- Industrial Design requires a portfolio
- Music requires an audition
- Secondary Education requires an application (post-baccalaureate applicants only)
- Special Education requires an application
- TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages) requires an application
- Outreach and Continuing Education supported degree and certificate programs have their own admission requirements that vary by program. Contact your program of interest for additional information.
Steps to success
- Review our Programs of Study for specific entrance requirements.
- Visit our Transfer Course Equivalency Guide to determine what you may be able to complete at your current college or university.
- Familiarize yourself with our Transfer Admission Requirements.